2014 has been a banner year in my life in many ways. It wasn’t 100% good, but it sure resulted in mega growth and learning – which is really the best anyone can hope for I think!
This year I can tick off several wonderful things that I’m very proud of.
1) Rick and I spent January in Colombia traveling, going to Spanish language school, and finishing up my Anusara yoga teacher training. It was fun to travel together (as always) and we learned a new style of traveling as we managed to balance our responsibilities at home while we were enjoying a new country.
2) We got a puppy! Adelaide is the light of our lives. Honestly, I have always been a dog lover but having our own puppy to love and raise together has been so much more rewarding than I anticipated. She makes us smile, unites us in frustration at times, and is a joy to be around. She sleeps in our bed, and I have to admit that I sometimes am not sure who I prefer to snuggle with more! She brings such happiness to our lives. We love her to pieces.
3) Rick and I settled in Denver. We really weren’t sure whether coming back to Denver was the right move for us for a long time. We toyed with the idea of living a more rural life in Montana or elsewhere, but when it came down to it Denver called us back. We settled into Rick’s home with the initial intention of selling it, but as we fixed it up we fell more and more in love. It’s a gorgeous old 4 bedroom place in the heart of the City. I can walk to work, we have a daycare for Addie within 3 blocks, we found an in home daycare less than a block away for Baby Frankie, the supermarket, park, and light rail are all within easy walking distance, and the house itself is pretty cool. Our bedroom has French doors, exposed brick, a yoga space, and a giant closet. We have set up an adorable nursery for the baby, we have lots of room for guests, and we are beginning to make plans for a major kitchen renovation. We are happy to have made the choice to stay. In fact, just a few weeks ago the job I interviewed for in Helena in March called me to see if I’d be interested in a new role there before they posted it publicly. In reflecting, as much as it sounds awesome to live there, we recognized how happy we are right here and were able to turn down the offer without too much second thought.
4) We got pregnant! Rick and I talked for a while about trying for kids and I was certain the process would take some time. They say the average time to conceive is around 6 months and I was convinced it would go slower than that for me! Well, we were ahead of the curve and got pregnant more or less on the first try. It was a shock at first and it took me some time to get my head around the reality that we were having a baby – together! But, thankfully gestation takes 9 months (or in my case, more like 10) and I have had time to welcome the idea of a baby into my life. As I write now, we are ten days past our due date of December 22nd. I just finished my second labor induction acupuncture session. I have become well versed in the various holistic methods for inducing labor – believe me, we have tried it ALL! We will have a baby within the week, one way or another as we are scheduled for induction if nothing happens in the next two days. As much as I have mixed feelings about induction, I have to admit that I’m anxious to meet this baby and to no longer be pregnant. So, I bounce on my birth ball and hope for the baby to decide to come the good old-fashioned way, but I know he’ll be here soon regardless. I’m loving Rick and Addie extra hard because soon there will be one more in the house to love!
5) A new job! I took on a new role as the public involvement coordinator for the Denver office of HDR engineering. I have felt quite challenged by the role and my desire to prove myself before going on maternity leave. I look forward to new challenges when I return and I hope that I continue to grow and find new learning opportunities in this roles.
There were other parts of the year that challenged me greatly, I have felt a strong pressure to prove myself as a mom, employee, friend, and wife. I know that I often put quite a bit of pressure on myself to do it all, and I’d like 2015 to bring a renewed focus on doing things for myself because they make me happy. That includes running a second marathon with my best friend, coming back to yoga more seriously, and embracing my newest role as a mom.